Sunday, September 26, 2010

Advice About Teen Daughter

Return to original post


Dear Melissa,


I can understand your daughter's struggle because I certainly struggled myself with wanting guys to notice and like me when I was young and in school. I wish I had someone like she has you to encourage her to stay faithful to God and not be so concerned about what everyone else thinks of her. Continue to talk to her about how special she is to you and to God. You mentioned Psalm 139:14, "for I am fearfully and wonderfully made..." The chapter goes on to say in verse 17 & 18, "How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand..." Continue to encourage her to remain true to who she is in Christ.

I would encourage you to study God's word together. It is so important to know what the Bible says about how to live and what to think. She's not getting the truth at school, on T.V., and not likely from her peers. She needs you to help disciple her in living for Christ. Don't just depend on the youth group at church to teach her. She needs your daily support and guidance. She needs you rooting in her corner, knowing Momma cares enough to get involved in her life and keep her on the straight and narrow. You could look up verses together about standing fast (Gal. 5:1), walking in the Spirit (Gal 5:16), presenting your bodies a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1), being the temple of God (1 Cor. 3:16), abiding in Christ (John 15), and delighting in the Lord (Psalm 37:4 & 5). I would encourage you to work together to memorize these and other verses from the Bible. Remember Psalm 119:9-11, "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." If you want your daughter, who is a Christian, to live for God in her daily life, fill her up with His word! She is in a spiritual struggle and the word of God is her sword (Eph. 6:17). Help arm your daughter in this battle with the weapon of the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And don't forget verse 18--pray, Momma, pray for your daughter. Even pray with her so she can hear your prayers and know someone who loves her dearly is praying for her. What a difference you can make in your daughter's life by loving her enough to lead her in the truth!

No comments: